Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Weathering and Mass Wasting


Yellowstone is not exempt from the forces of weathering that influence change on our landscapes. Joints are important in weathering because they allow for more surface area on which chemical and physical weathering can occur. A prime example of joints is the columnar basalt at Sheepeater Cliff.
These columnar basalt were formed from the contractional cooling of a thick lava flow. The vertical cracks are joints.
 http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/images/gallery2/gallery_volcanic.php

There are several physical weathering processes. One is pressure release, where pressure is released from quick erosion, causing the shell to pop off in slabs.

                                             At Mammoth Hot Springs
                           http://www.jimgmeiner.com/photos.php?id=110&wid=1247&currentpage=1



Another example of pressure release is at the Hot Springs.

On the left side of the rock, it appears as if pieces of the rock has flaked off in shells. This could be due to pressure release. The smooth, round top surface of the rock is also an example of spheroidal weathering, a form of chemical weathering. 
http://www.public-domain-image.com/nature-landscape/hot-spring/slides/yellowstone-hot-springs.html


Cavernous weathering, which is a type of salt weathering, is also a physical weathering process. This weathering forms alveoli and tafoni.

I was so excited when I came across this picture because I was unsuccessful at finding examples of aveoli or tafoni earlier in my search. This is Obsidian glass found at Obsidian Cliff, which has you can see has pores called alveoli.
http://www.johnwise.com/blog/john/potd/photooftheday_01152010.html


Salt weathering is also present at Minerva Spring and Terrace.

All the white on the sides of the rock is salt. As the salt crystals grow and expand they exert pressure on the surrounding rocks that can weaken and break them.
http://mms.nps.gov/yell/features/mammothtour/minerva.htm


Mammoth Hot Springs also provides a good example of another form of weathering called chemical weathering.

Here is Mammoth The green on the side of the rock is lichen and mosses. These organisms will gradually eat away at and weather the rocks surface from the organic acids and chelation. 
http://www.superstock.co.uk/stock-photos-images/4097-2792


Another form of chemical weathering is oxidation, which we can see at Blood Geyser.

All the red you see here is iron oxide from the reaction of iron bearing minerals in the water with oxygen. When the iron solution drys out, the reddish iron oxide will precipitate, which gives the geyser its name "blood geyser." 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20977524@N02/3767601231


All these examples show the weathering processes that help to change and break down the beautiful landscape of Yellowstone. Yellowstone is also influenced by mass wasting, which has a huge human impact. In July of 2004, a 90 yard debris flow closed the entrance to the park. Sixteen people and three cars had to be rescued.  
Cars trapped by the debris flow that occurred on a steep, impermeable slope. While the area is transport-limited, the section in which the flow occurred is more weather-limited due to a forest fire that stripped the vegetation. Add two inches of rain and you have the massive, 10 feet deep flow. This particular flow has been called a mudslide by the source but the amount of rock and mud in the picture would classify it actually as a debris flow.
http://wapi.isu.edu/envgeo/EG4_mass_wasting/yellowstone_landslide_2004.htm




Sources:
http://wapi.isu.edu/envgeo/EG4_mass_wasting/EG_module_4.htm
http://wapi.isu.edu/envgeo/EG4_mass_wasting/yellowstone_landslide_2004.htm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertocueto/3767601231/in/photostream/
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/images/gallery2/gallery_volcanic.php 

4 comments:

  1. Brittany,
    Your explanations of weathering types are very specific. However, you left out biological joint weathering, which the trees in your first picture show. Your explanation of mass wasting is very detailed! Also, your description of how the landscape changed after the debris flow is easy to understand. Nice job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany, I like that you included examples of both physical and chemical weathering. I have not been to Yellowstone so the pictures and captions really helped me visualize the landscape. I agree with you that the final picture looks like debris flow, not mudflow. Although there is mud content, there also seems to be a great amount of rock. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The truth
    Faith: Just to be clear the grinch didn’t hate christmas he hated people which is totally fair
    Theo: *Thinks for a moment* Yep totally fair
    Elena: True
    Faith: So we all agree
    Trying to talk to me
    Theo: *In reference to a huge conspiracy that Faith made up* So lemme get this straight
    Faith: Good luck with that
    Me on a daily basis
    Faith: *Takes out book of one shots* Who wants to read fanfiction
    Theo: Is it wholesome
    Faith: *Look of disbelief* I’m hurt
    Theo: So yes
    Faith: *Face palms*: Duh what do you take me for a wattpad writer
    My life
    Charlotte: Did you get any sleep last night
    Faith and Theo: *still incredibly tired* we’re fine we got a solid 8 minutes you’re not even that blurry
    Charlotte: *Face palms*
    What happens in the group chat
    Theo: *Types in the group chat at 3am*
    Faith: *Responds almost instantly*
    Everyone in the group chat: What are you doing up
    Faith: I could ask the same thing
    I’m always cold
    Elena: Like my new coat
    Faith: *snaps and coat appears on her*
    Elena: Wha-
    Faith: *Smirking* I’m cold
    Theo: I brought new gloves
    Faith: *Snaps and gloves appear on her*
    Theo: *Double takes*
    Faith: *Trying not to laugh* I’m cold
    *At da beach*
    Charlotte: Check it I got a new blanket
    Faith: *Snaps and blanket appears on her*
    Charlotte: *Gives a look of confusion*
    Faith: *Almost full blown laughing* I’m cold
    Everyone: FAITH

    When your bestie has that crazy look while having cucumber in her mouth

    I’m very punny
    Faith: What happens to nitrogen when the sun rises
    Charlotte: It becomes day-trogen
    Theo: That’s not how it works
    Faith: Sure it is
    Theo: I’m going to bed
    Charlotte: Good night-trogen
    Faith: Sleep tight-trogen
    Charlotte: Don’t let the bed bugs bite-trogen
    Theo: *Incoherent screams of frustration*

    How I imagine my life if i got into a fight
    Theo: Sorry I’m late i was busy……..
    Faith: *Out of breath* He pushed me down the f***ing stairs
    Everyone except Theo: THEO!!!!

    My ego (This is extremely false)
    Faith: I would do anything for my friends
    Jordyn: Tell me my hair looks better than yours
    Faith: ……...Almost anything

    If we were all roommates
    Faith: It’s muggy outside
    Elena and Theo: FAITH IF ALL OUR MUGS ARE ON THE LAWN WE’RE GOING TO HURT YOU
    Faith: *Sips her coffee from a bowl while running*

    the look that says “you can kill me later”

    Different perspectives on life
    *Skipping stones*
    Jordyn: It’s a lovely day
    Faith: Take that you f***ing lake

    the look that says “I'm not asleep”

    I “care”

    Charlotte: Keep an eye on Theo today he’s gonna say the wrong thing to the wrong person and get punched
    Faith: I wanna see Theo get punched
    Charlotte: Try again
    Faith: I will stop Theo from getting punched

    Sometimes it's better to tell the truth
    Theo: Faith did you eat all the doughnuts
    Faith: nooo
    Theo: I see the powder on your lips
    Faith: *Panicking* That’s uh cocaine

    the look that says “I’m totally not on tumblr”
    the lazy virgil smirk
    me mid lugh

    Betrayal
    Faith: How could you I thought we were friends and then you do this does my friendship mean nothing to you how could you I mean we hang out together all the time and then you you pull this horrid thing
    Theo: *Rolls his eyes* Faith stop being so dramatic I just asked you to try a new flavor of pocky
    Faith: *Hisses* Betrayal

    Faith: i have strep for like the 10th time
    Adorable by association (Im ina good mood)



    His palms are sweaty
    Knees weak
    Arms are heavy
    There’s vomit on his sweater already
    Mom’s spaghetti
    He’s n

    ReplyDelete